The Southern Uplands Partnership is aiming to promote sustainable equine tourism in the Scottish Borders by working with a wide range of existing equestrian related businesses and encourage the development of new businesses, helping them to grow, work together, and develop products that both help them and strengthen the wider Scottish Borders economy.
The Scottish Borders, the hidden jewel for off road horse riding in the South of Scotland. Easily accessible and with over 200 miles of off-road and forestry trails, a haven for visitors and their horses.
Many are part of Scotland’s Great Trails which stretch from coast to coast and north-south across the nation. Several links with trails in Cumbria and Northumberland and from there to The Lake District, the Pennines and beyond!
Horse suitable rides and trails have not been the focus of national or regional promotion unlike cycling and walking and network usage has not substantially increased. This project aims to tap into the base of local riders and those within a 2– 3-hour drive* that could be attracted to the Borders to enjoy a wide range of rides and other all-family attractions to suit short or longer stay vacations.
With a central point of information allowing research, planning and itinerary building all in one handy easy to use location. This will show the range of accommodation available (for horse & rider) by price, quality, proximity to stabling/ grazing and any add-on services such as hot tubs, picnics, day trips. This will also ensure ease of booking neighbouring accommodation for those seeking linked mid to long distance rides. This will be supported by
- Clear maps where horseboxes and cars can be left and how riders can be supported for the duration of their stay with different accommodation-providers
- How network gaps can be worked around by taxi/luggage/horse transfer between rest stops, as part of a booked package
- Route maps with skill-level guidance, and how any network gaps can be worked around as part of a booked package.
- Catering options during rides, and at destinations.
- Opportunities to visit attractions, events and creative industries for family and friends with taxi/minibus links from accommodation for rest days during the rides.